Monday, February 13, 2006

Neo 19

by Wang Lee Hom

XING YI JI HUA QU, Taipei’s hottest new development area, is a vibrant picture of hip, young Taiwanese social life. Warner Village, its central complex, is a trendy place to meet up with friends for a meal, movie, shopping or clubbing.

It was January 2005. I had just released my “Shangri-la” album, and was looking forward to enjoy an evening alone to internally celebrate having completed such an arduous album production.

What better place to feel alone than amidst the bustling Taipei nightlife? Subconsciously, I might have related the peaceful loneliness of being on stage in front of thousands of people to that night’s dinner plans. I decided to make a beeline for Warner’s colorful “Neo 19” building.

Upon entering, my ears immediately latched onto the catchy harp introduction of Britney Spears’s “Every time” pumping into the gargantuan main room. One of her few songs that I actually like, this ballad’s arrangement created the exhilarating illusion of the restaurant’s lofty ceiling being somewhere beyond the stratosphere. I have a penchant for high ceiling, cloudless skies and astronomy. I liked the place.

By conditioned response, I sat myself down in a non-conspicuous corner, but was soon surrounded by a host of smiling waiters with paper coasters to be autographed. So began my mini-autographing session before even seeing a menu…sigh. While obliging as legibly as possible over the coasters’ green “Heineken” logos, I silently asked myself, “should I be signing THESE?” My thoughts were interrupted by the back of a cellular phone shoved in front of my down-turned gaze. “Mr. Wang, can you please sign this for me?” I looked up to see a slightly older, bespectacled restaurant manager. “Sure,” I said as I wrote my name over his phone’s removable battery. “But…”, I began and then stopped.

I didn’t want to come across as arrogant or stingy, but staring at the stack of coaster to be signed, combined with the fact that the manager himself was standing in front of me, my words just came out! I swallowed and continued, “I just released my new album…and you play music (loudly) in your restaurant,” I was feeling awkward already, but I thought after signing so many autographs it was a fair request. “Could you play my new album here, sometimes?” The manager quickly made a wincing expression, and answered in an awkwardly polite way, that to me was no less caustic than a slap in the face.

“Sorry Mr. Wang, our rules are that we can only play English songs here.”

The restaurant manager’s words reverberate in my mind to this day like a gunshot. I’d been hit in the chest and was stunned. “What?” I thought, incredulously. “What kind of rule is that? We’re in Taiwan and you can’t play Chinese songs?” My first emotion was anger. As a musician who has dedicated so much of his life to Chinese music, I was feeling personally attacked. But looking up at the bespectacled restaurant manager, I realized he meant no harm, and it wasn’t his fault. In an effort to make the Warner Village so cool, so hip, so international, they had actually set up rules to follow. Rules, in my ears, that are sadly disillusioned.

I can understand if a Mexican restaurant wants to play only Mexican music to stay consistent with its décor, or a Japanese pub’s theme is to play J-pop music videos in the store. I respect and applaud those creative decisions. But if these establishments in Taiwan, in order to make themselves make more “international”, embrace the prejudice that Chinese music is “too local” for their image, this is not only ludicrous, but also detrimental to the development of our popular culture, and its overall self-esteem.

These rules (decreed, or unspoken) are accepted in many Taiwanese establishments that are trying to be “international”. It’s so ironic that Americans, many of whom know nothing of Chinese, Japanese or Korean culture, (they’ve never even heard of British pop stars like Robbie Williams, Blue or Craig David, who sing in English!), have little or no exposure to international radio, television, movies and print media, are the ones we often look up to as being “international”. The truth of the matter is, Chinese people are in many ways more “international” than the US, and more in touch with the goings on of other countries worldwide.

Chinese establishments should feel proud to play the music of local artists. Now more than ever, we should embrace our own culture, and work hard to take it to a more internationally competitive level. As a musician, this is one of my paramount goals. I know it can be done if we take pride in our work, and in ourselves.

Be proud to be Chinese. No one else has what we’ve got.

source: LEEHOM Shangri-la: Piano and Vocal Score

The reason I had chosen this article to post in my blog is because of the paragraph I highlighted. I seriously agreed with what Lee Hom wrote in the last paragraph. ‘Be proud to be Chinese.’ I often find some Chinese look down on own culture, religion, language and even themselves. A few days ago, I received a silly message from a friend, who is a Malaysian Chinese. She said: “When you go to UK to study, remember NOT to mix with people from China, Hong Kong or Malaysian Chinese. Only those local Chinese or British can help you when you are in trouble.” I strongly disagree with her statement but I had chosen not to answer her as she always good in debating and I don’t want to fight with her on this matter. I can only describe what she said in a word: RIDICULOUS. I had seen some Chinese student organization or Malaysian student association in foreign university. They seem to be so united and cordial to each other. Do you believe that they won’t help each other when someone in trouble? I believe that helping each other is the only way to survive in a foreign and unfamiliar place. Especially when you feel lonely and home sick, then the people with similar background and culture will be the best person to give you strength and courage to face the challenges.

Have you ever met a new friend with the same race as you but you don’t know what language you should choose to speak to him? I shall tell you that I have met a lot of people who don’t know their own language. Then, English had become the first language of conversation between us. By the way, as both of us are Chinese and our ancestors are from China, why can’t we communicate by using our own language? They may tell you ‘no’, including all sorts of reason when you ask them do they know Mandarin. The conclusion can be made from the reasons is ‘Chinese Language is not important’. I don’t mean that Chinese Language must be the language of conversation between Chinese and I understand that there are some difficulties to learn Chinese Language in the areas out of China. Perhaps, environment is the factor that restrained them from learning how to write but they should be able to listen and understand Chinese Language, at least. It’s sad to know that they don’t think it’s a need for them to understand.

Chinese have a great history of 5000 years and yet we are working hard to create a greater future. We should be proud of ourselves! I would like to quote a few sentences from the article: ‘Now more than ever, we should embrace our own culture, and work hard to take it to a more internationally competitive level.’ ‘It can be done if we take pride in our work, and in ourselves.’

‘Be proud to be Chinese.’
我们要为自己是华人而感到自豪!

* I would like to apologize if any of my opinions hurts your feeling.

9 comments:

Lulu said...

OMG Huixin!!! I totally agree!!!

I am proud that I am Chinese,
I am proud of my distinctive Chinese features,
I am proud of my small black eyes, dark hair, yellow skin,
I am proud of Chinese language, such a beautiful writing system, how could you not admire them...
I am proud of Chinese history, I read 上下五千年 so many time, and every time I read it, my blood pumps out of my vein.
I am proud to communicate in Chinese; I go to Chinatown every weekend to find the feeling of home.
I am proud of Chinese food, there is no other food comes in such variety
I am proud of my Chinese friends, I am proud of my Chinese parents..

Huixin let’s sing 我們都是龍的傳人 together!!

Lulu said...

continues...

I am proud of Chinese art, music, literature
There is no other festival quite like Chinese New Year.
It also glad how everyone appreciate it...(just look at all the decorations in central London, regent street, oxford street..)
Haha I am also proud of Chinese animals ^^ Panda, and 華南虎 the ancestor of all tigers
Ha ha okey I will stop here for a while ^^

huixin said...

Louise, thanks for you comment!!

I'm really impressed with the Chinese Language writing system becuz it's so unique!!

Our country's history syllabus does not cover history of China but I still read it on my own becuz it's so interesting!! The history of China is so GREAT and the people were so brillant!!I love the history of China.

I love Chinese food and i'm having it everyday at home. I shall learn to cook it on my own, so that i can do it for myself when i go to UK next year. haha!

六月 said...

lulu今天在我上网时,用很快,很紧张的语气问我,[你读了huixin的文章吗]。让我觉得很紧张,赶紧问她发生了什么事。她说,写得太好了。

的确,身为一个华人,我真的觉得自豪。记得好几年前,在报章上曾经读过一篇很短而且被贴在报章角落的报导。报导指出,华语大概是各种主要语言里头最难学的。因为一个发音,会有很多不一样的字眼出现,而且都代表着不一样的意思。更厉害的是会写,会听,会说华语的人,要在聆听和写作时, 头脑自然的就会将某些字联系在一起。就如[华语]二字,很少人会写[滑雨]一样的意思。也只有说,听,写华语时是左右脑并用的。

听起来,华人不是应该为自己所说的语言感到自豪吗。我们的语言是多么独特的阿。可惜的是,许多华人却不这么想。

在伦敦的我,有机会接触到许多来自不同国家的朋友。他们总是羡慕我们,一个人自己本身就会说好几种语言。华语在他们眼中更是一种很优雅的语言。今年,是伦敦中国年。我实在感动,身在伦敦的我,看着洋人穿旗袍,口里说[恭喜发财]。那一刻,真的觉得,这是华人的骄傲。牛津街历史以来第一次挂上华人红色灯笼。

为什么在国外,大家都努力保持着那中国独特文化的当时,身处华语背景的人却放弃他们应有的能力去崇洋。

唐餐更是华人精髓。点心,粥,汤,这些都是华人常吃的。里头所带有的营养成分远比一刻维他命丸。对於外国人,吃中餐是一种高尚的享受。太极,功夫这些年来在国外大肆宣传。就如yoga在华人国家掀起的旋风一样。

电影在国外的发展更是蓬勃。王家卫,李安,章子怡,成龙等,都是脍至人口的。我有个黑人同事在念电影,一整个学期,就是特别研究王家卫的[重庆森林]。对她来说,华人背景,语言,生活都是那么奇妙,有趣。

这些都不足以证明,华人更应该为着他们自己身体流着华人的血时感到骄傲吗?

Lulu said...

Waoo 不用吧,六月。。幹嗎寫這麽多, 把我給比下去了。。。 *開玩笑*

Yep I am so happy how everyone knows it's Chinese New Year, and everyone said 'Gong hei fat choi' in some weird accent ^^''''
I've met people like that as well Huixin...I don’t understand what they are afraid of? Scared that people might laugh at them when they speak Chinese? My friends all look at me in amazement when I answer the phone and speak Chinese to my mum ^__^’’’
Wow 對了,你什麽時候來英國? 英國倫敦嗎?是爲了學醫嗎? 哇,太棒了!你不知道在倫敦所有大學裏有多少華人,他們都會很熱心的 (wherever you go, you will always meet people who 胳膊肘向外拐的人, 但是你放心大部分人都是很團結的哦)

別忘了通知我哦。。我沒有什麽大本事可是會盡力幫你的 :)

卡門 said...

看到大家义正严词的说,proud 2 b chinese时,真的好感动!更令我汗颜的是,大家的英文是好到...

我的英文是半路出家的,可想而知是有多差。中学做暑假工时,曾遇过一些人,明明会说华语却不说,然后很鄙夷的眼光看你。

当时心里真的很受伤,后来我的老板安慰我说,如果下次有人笑你不会英文,你就跟别人说,我从小要学华语、马来语和英语,在加上一些籍贯语言,你总不能要求我每样都很流利。

我不知道大家有没发现,有时看不起不会讲英文的华人,往往都是很会讲英文的华人,当然我不是说全部。

后来,我的英文还是很“水”,只是我为自己懂得自己的母语为荣。

huixin said...

June,谢谢你那么仔细还有那么用心的comment。你写得比我所想到的深入和仔细多了。很高兴能知道今年的伦敦这么有新年气氛,若不是你和Louise告诉我,我在那么远的地方也不可能知道。我们的国家也有很多人在努力保住华人的传统和文化,只可惜并不是所有人懂得珍惜。

Louise,谢谢你看得起我这篇随手写得读后感。我应该明年7月会去英国,不过不是去伦敦。对我而言,伦敦的生活费太高了,我的父母负担不起。我现在在Uni of Nottingham, M'sia Campus读Pharmacy。我的课程是2年在M'sia, 2年在Nottingham Campus。希望以后在英国有机会见到你啦!

蚊子,我的英文不是很行而已。我还记得我form 1的时候,刚刚从100%华文的华小去要讲马来文或英文的国中读书时不太会讲马来文或英文的尴尬。那一次要去向老师拿东西,我开口讲了几个字,然后就想不到要怎样讲了,和老师对望了一些时间,我还想不到,于是老师就继续做她的东西,而我继续站在原地口吃。幸亏有一个同学经过帮我开口,不然我真的拿不到我需要的东西。是这几年读A-level,然后读大学,英文才比较有进步。不管怎样,华文还是最能表达我的心声的语言。 我并非英文不好所以才特别喜欢华文,而我是早已深深爱上了华文的美,深深爱上每一个独特的方块字。

Lulu said...

Aiya...spent ages to design this ^__^
check it out here

Xuyene said...

看来马来西亚的华人才真正的明白和体验被同胞歧视的感觉是有多难受。
一篇足以引起共鸣的文章,很好!