Thursday, August 24, 2006

Personal Statement

I was browsing thru my old files and I found this, the personal statement I used to apply for UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) last year. I remembered that I applied for Biotechnology in University of Nottingham, UK and Biomedical Science in University of Durham. Oh ya, they accepted me, but I chosen to study Pharmacy in Uni of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus. I think I did tried my best to write my personal statement, and then I gave it to my friend’s father to do corrections. He helped me to add in lots of bombastic words and restructured my sentences to make it sounds nicer. I nearly couldn’t recognize my piece of great work, I mean the one after surgery. Haha…

Here comes my personal statement:

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), a new viral infection and contagious disease that caused an epidemic across Asia in 2003 had left a profound impact in the hearts of many Asians. Moereover, it had also greatly influenced my career path. During the epidemic, my distant cousin living in Hong Kong was infected by SARS.It was an agony to be helpless and yet incapable of alleviating her sufferings.This incident had prompted my determination to pursue further study in the field of Biomedical Science.I vowed to acquire knowledge in this field with an ultimate objective of helping others in dire need of relief from ever mutating viral diseases.

Science is my favorite subject of study. From the unknown to known fact, it is mysterious, facinating, captivating and most of all, it could bring about change and challenge the norms.I am particularly inclined towards life sciences which is the scientific study of the living world. The human body is a remarkable machine. It consisted of many diverse systems, producing a highly sophisticated organism that could not be artificially reproduced.

To lay the foundation toward my career goals, I have opted for Bio-Math combinations in my A-level study. My desire to seek more in depth knowledge and greater challenge in life culminating in my next step of action ie Academic focus to obtain a good university degree from an education center of excellence.

My extracurricular activities at secondary school level supplemented my endeavor. It had provided opportunity for exposure to social skills development, the art of communication and sharpened my logical and critical thinking skills. My stint as school head librarian and class leader has proven beneficial in the development of my leadership competence. Besides, in 2002, I was entrusted with a heavy task of being the main actress of my class drama team which won first runner-up in the Interclass English Drama Competition.

Apart from studies, music and arts are my favorite pastimes. I have attained grade 5 level in both practical and theory of music as awarded by the Associated Board of The Royal Schools of Music. I also indulged in outdoor activities such as swimming and jogging to bolster my physical health. Reading as a hobby broadens my knowledge base, especially subjects pertaining to medical sciences and history.

I am determined to be a proactive member of your winning team in the field of Biomedical science.To steer my career journey into the envisioned dream path,working and contributing toward this field of study within your esteemed University faculty would certainly enhance my opportunity for success.

As Malaysia is a developing country, it is imperative that her citizens demand a higher standard of living condition, especially in the area of health-care. I know, however, that to realize my professional goals of contributing to and upgrade our country’s lagging biomedical science field up to comparable international standards; there is a lot more needs to be done as an individual.

Recalling the days at the hospital, I am ever resolved to improve the welfare of healthcare patients in my country. As a first step in my action plan, securing a place at your esteemed university’s biomedical science faculty would be the launch pad to realize my dream.

England is the preferred choice as our cultural, economic and education links and ties were enriched for centuries. Moreover, England is renowned for maintaining high quality in further education as a tradition.

Full version of my personal statement. Lots of lies. It’s true that I study health science because I was influenced by SARS (a little bit of influence only la) but I don’t have any relatives infected by SARS. I seldom jog, and I don’t really know how to swim. haha…I think they expected the applicants to add in chili, pepper, salt, and whatever in their personal statement to make themselves sounds smart. Perhaps, only dummies don’t do that in their personal statement.

8 comments:

Crayn Tay said...

about music... i wan to ask u..izzit lee hom hv new album liao??going to publish???really???

wah alot nice singer got new album..

fan fan fan wei qi ..SHE..then is david tao..then jay chou going to publish. then im waiting for fish leong de...then also lee hom de.. haha

Anonymous said...

hi.

wow, lots of spices. lol

never too late to start jogging and swimming.

sounds like a darn impressive P.S.

wait until you read mine.

;)

Sadly, i didn't make it in time to send a UCAS application.

but the good side of it is, I AM HERE IN NOTTS WITH YOU GUYS!!!!!!

love.

huixin said...

Crayn, i don't think Leehom is going to release his new album so soon. I bought David Tao's! and i'm looking forward for Jay's too.

Ruby, I'm happy tat u r in Notts with us!

sapphire_animax said...

haha..it's funny cos i did not know what is UCAS before entering unim...ppl are talking abt UCAS n i become blur..hehe

i dont really apply to good uni due to lots of reason
1) the agent never tell us abt it cos they never get a single cent abt it

2) the ppl here are not that rich..we onli think abt wat we wan to study and choose which uni got that particular subject...we consider a lot abt the price..

it's seem like the way the ppl of western and eastern malaysia ppl think in a quite different way..of cos we mostly are the one who are more careful..b'cos since small mum would give us lecture abt how unsafe the streeet of kl would be..how many murder n kidnappin case occur in a mum...wow..scaring us...

we are also more careful in our spending cos due to influence from parents n fren rite here

lucky for me to enter such a prestigious uni like unim..yet i dun realli treasure wat i was given..in the other words, takin things for granted

huixin said...

haha...i don't think KL is that bad. I was borned and grow up in KL...KL is my home, and i love here!

piggy said...

whoa. come to think of it, i kind of jeopardize my own career path.

i din apply for any uni at all cos i tot that going into a uni is pretty easy. =P

dem scary

sapphire_animax said...

ya lor, i kinda agree too. Just be careful where you are wonderin around..

there are also lot of things that i think west malaysian done better than us..haha..i think the ppl here veri nosey...unim ppl are more caring n dun simply make news..maybe just misundestandin..yah l

ivin in kl allow me to experience lots of things that is not available here..it's fun

huixin said...

Chuisan, i worried quite a lot when choosing uni, tat's y i applied lots of uni. i think i applied at least 15 universities. But sadly, i can only choose 1...haha

Wen Ching, don't worry la...i won't misunderstand. I haven't been to east m'sia before. hope got chance to visit soon.