Monday, June 02, 2008

Cornwall I

I have so much to blog about, but yet…so lazy to blog. I just realized that I actually blog more during exam period than post exam period when I’m very free. Well…since I just came back from Cornwall, I shall blog about it and not delaying any more.

The story shall start from planning to go to Scotland after exam. Yes, it’s ideal to go to Scotland in summer cuz it’s very very cold in winter. But, our ideal plan failed becuz we were not able to rent a car on the date we wanted. So, we make up our mind and plan to go to Cornwall instead. Visiting Cornwall requires fewer days than Scotland, and we are able to rent a car on another day. For your information, Cornwall is the most south westernly county of England. Cornwall is noted for its beautiful scenery of wild moorland landscapes and its extensive and varied coastline. However, Cornwall is also one of the poorest areas of United Kingdom with the lowest per capita contribution to the national economy.

It takes about 5 hours to drive from Nottingham to the backpackers we booked at Newquay, Cornwall. Well, I keep pronouncing Newquay as ‘New-kuey’, but instead, it should be pronounced as…erm…I dunno how to write out…’New-kise’? ‘New-kice’? ok…call me and I’ll pronounce the correct one for you. Special thanks to Google map for giving us directions from Nottingham to Newquay. The website is so smart that it even knows how to direct us to avoid the toll! Hahaha…Really can’t imagine how we could get there without our piece of Google Map! Picture on the right, sunset at Newquay, somewhere near the hostel we stayed.

We had the worst ever dinner at Newquay on the day we reached Cornwall. I swear I’ll never eat fish and chips again in UK. This is so oily and unhealthy. It’s like putting 10 tons of oil into my mouth…omg…really can’t stand for it!





We went to Truro on the second day. Truro is the administrative centre and only city of Cornwall. Truro is also the most southerly city of Great Britain. Well, to me, Truro looks like a small town rather than a city. We had some nice time visiting the cathedral (which we felt it’s very commercialized) and shopping in the city.



Next, visiting the Eden Project near St Austell. Gosh…we drive like about 1-1.5 hours from Truro to St Austell. Distance between one places to another is quite far away, luckily we came to Cornwall by driving! We spent about 7 pounds per person for the entrance fees of the Eden Project. Picture on the right is the world’s largest greenhouse at the Eden Project. The complex comprises a number of domes that house plant species from around the world, with each emulating a natural biome. The domes are made out of hundreds of hexagons plus a few pentagons that interconnect the whole construction together; each of these is a transparent cushion made of tough plastic. The first dome emulates a tropical environment, the second a warm temperate, Mediterranean environment. Ok…some of the information is copied from Wikipedia, cuz I can’t remember so much. :p
okla...shall stop here and continue another time. Promised, i'll complete this!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my housemate volunteered in the Eden projects two years ago..

huixin said...

icic...i'm sure that your housemate's very pround to be involved in the project